Keeping your Crypto shouldn’t be expensive as a fact should be free so here some of the steps I follow on a daily bases on a daily bases, you may find some of them a bit tedious but it has work for me and others for a long time without having to be spending money and depending from others services that may fail, there are two services I use but those has also work and stay secure for many years.
When it comes to the security of your crypto the market itself have been over complicating things selling you hardware wallets that have been proven to be hacked too, cyber security experts who charge you for audits in the case of crypto currency projects and a lot of software that only saturates your system.
Crypto has also become part of that world that we, you and I live, a world where the best thing that we know how to do is buy and consume things that most of the time just complicate more things and end with you buying more services that you don’t really need.
I have come up with a series of ideas and methods I have been using for more than 10 years when it comes to the security of my home and office network, including computers and crypto storage.
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED
– KEEP YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM (WINDOWS) UPDATED
– DONT OPEN EMAILS, POPUPS OR ADDS YOU DONT KNOW OF
– THREE USB, PASSWORD ENCRYPTED
– YOUR FAVORITE CRYPTO WALLET PRIVATE KEY
– AUTHY 2FA MANAGER
– PROTONMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS
Things I don’t find unnecessary “Ill Explain Why”
– Firewall or Antivirus: I don’t even use Windows Defender, you may say but why isn’t it will protect you from a “hacker”? and the answer is NO IT WONT, hacks or attacks usually are the user fault by browsing sites you shouldn’t be, opening emails you shouldn’t, downloading wallets or programs that are not the official. I find Antivirus or Firewall software unnecessary the first reason because if we look at cases of how people get hacked is because they open the door to the hacker by visiting a site they found on an email or add or pop up or downloading a wallet that is not the official is just that simple.
I would suggest using an add blocker like Ads Killer Ad blocker Plus, I have been using it for years and it really take care of adds and popups.
– Hardware wallet: NO NEED, all you need is to create a wallet by using the official wallet of your favorite crypto currency, in the case of Bitcoin you can go to https://bitcoin.org and download the desktop wallet, yes DESKTOP, NEVER HOLD CRYPTO YOU CANT AFFORD TO LOOSE ON YOUR CELLPHONE, think about your cellphone as a disposable device, Ill explain latter. After you have downloaded the wallet send your crypto and export the private key, safe it into a text file on a USB and then make two copies of this USB, after this delete the wallet from your computer and that’s it nobody can access this wallet unless they have any of the three USB you just create with your private key, this is exactly the concept of a hardware wallet and you just safe like $80 at least.
– Password manager: usually people think that by using a password manager they will never loose their password but the problem is that this password manager services have been target for hackers many times and have been exploited again and again, also there are some password managers that run locally only meaning your data is not backup and if your hard drive crash means the password manager is lost, same goes for using password manager on your cellphone, best practice to keep your passwords safe is the same procedure as having three usb with a text file.
– Only use 16 digits password or higher, must include capital letters, numbers and special characters.
– Never use the same password, one site I use to check if my password has been use somewhere else is https://haveibeenpwned.com/ this is a very reputable project that keep track of security breaches
– NEVER LEARN YOUR PASSWORDS
– NEVER EVER SAFE PASSWORDS INTO YOUR BROWSER PROFILE, if you Gmail gets hacked there goes all your favorites, passwords and your crypto with it.
THINGS YOU MUST DO OR USE
– Only download official wallet, never use third party wallets, I know some of them are legit but its a best practice to only use official wallets to keep long term holds or amounts of crypto you are not willing to loose, if its Bitcoin go to Bitcoin.com and download the core wallet, deposit your Bitcoin, export your private keys and delete the wallet.
– MUST USE Two Factor Authentication 2FA on every single exchange or website that offers this security feature, to keep all my 2fa secure I juse https://authy.com/ I have been using this software for more than 5 years and never had a single problem. Have more than one device with Authy install, I would suggest buying a cheap secondary cell phone just to have it as a backup with Authy install, keep this phone update and check on it once a week.
– NEVER USE SMS Authentication, reason for this is because if your phone gets stolen, lost or hacked the unauthorized user can authenticate your exchange account or any website you use SMS to authenticate and take your crypto.
– NEVER EVER use low tier exchanges, this are some of the exchanges I can only recommend
– PROTONMAIL email account, this is free and its consider one of the most safe email services online, this systems I have put in place sound tedious but its my security and my money, I create a separate email for each exchange or website I use with my cryptocurrency and none of the passwords are safe into my computer or browsers.
To keep on top of my security and everything synchronize I do a weekly checklist, every Friday
– Make sure all three usb with private keys work and can be access
– Make sure all three usb with passwords work and the data is synchronize, meaning they all have same data
– Delete all coockies from browsers
– Make sure Authy is sinchronize between devices
There have been many cases of people who have lock down millions or even billions in crypto because they lost their passwords, private keys or their computer just crash, this methods are mix of analog and digital way to keep your data secure.
If you have any suggestions how this procedure can be improve feel free to comment
I make this kind of content for free, not to tell you what to do but to share my experience, good and bad, what works for me and what doesnt work for me so you can learn from my mistakes too and avoid making the same mistakes.
Good Luck, Thanks
👇🏻Consider Supporting the channel by using my affiliate links👇🏻
More of my content
FREE COPYRIGHT MUSIC
DISCLAIMER: The information Cryptoxicate.com or its media channels not limited to Twitter, Telegram, Discord, Instagram, Facebook, or any upcoming social media platform or internet search engine results is not financial advice. This information is for informational and entertainment purposes only. Any information provided are only and simple thoughts and opinions, you must not follow any of this thoughts and look for a professional financial advisor since we are not any type of advisors. Dont not get into crypto currencies since its a high risk investment if you do not have the proper guidance and any investment that you made is your own responsibility and no one else.